Good sexual health matters to both individuals and communities and is important to health and wellbeing. Our priorities are:
- Organisations will work together to provide high quality sexual health services that are flexible for everyone to access.
- Children and young people will have access to age-appropriate relationship and sex education and advice to help reduce unplanned teenage pregnancies.
- All services will have a better understanding of LGBTQ+ and gender identity and provide flexible services to meet everyone needs.
To achieve our priorities, we will:
- Develop and implement a sexual health strategy for County Durham.
- Work with agencies to provide services that everyone can access both in the community and also online.
- Develop a multi-agency plan to deliver age-appropriate relationship and sex education to young people, including targeted support for people with SEND (special educational needs and disability), learning disabilities and other vulnerable groups.
- Ensure staff across health and care receive training to understand the sexual health and wellbeing needs of people who identify as LGBTQ+ and support a cultural change that will provide a positive experience for everyone.
- Have a clear understanding of the sexual health needs for people in County Durham.
- Improved access to sexual health services, advice and guidance.
- Reduction in unplanned under 18 conceptions.
- Feedback from young people on quality and impact of relationship and sex education in schools.
Find out more about this subject in the related Objectives, Goals, Initiatives and Metrics (OGIM) document on Durham County Council’s Committee Services website under the Heath and Wellbeing Board meeting agenda item for 24 November 2021.
We are keen to hear your views on the content of the plan, including our priorities and the measures we have identified to understand if we are making a difference. Please complete the form below, to provide your views and comments, and these will be passed to the person responsible for this chapter.